ABOUT DANIELLE FOUSHEE

I am an artist. This website features my work and highlights some of the varied
inspirations that inform my creative practice. Read more about me here.

Check out my facebook page or follow me on twitter at
@ArtistDFoushee.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Anna Zemánková’s Drawings

Anna Zemánková (1908-1986) was from what is now Czech Republic. She loved to draw as a child, but didn't begin her serious work until mid-life when her son gave her some art materials to help her combat depression. She found solace in art, and created floral and botanical drawings during hours of solitude. In the 1970s, Zemánková began to develop new techniques of working with the surface of the paper. She began to punch holes into it, and created raised textures in her work by manipulating the paper's surface. She also began working with collage techniques, incorporating textiles, beads, threads and other materials into the paper. (To find out more about Anna Zemánkovás life, go here.)

I find this work really inspiring... I love the imperfections in the line quality and shapes, the textures created, and the recognizable abstract quality of the work. I also like to use various materials in my own paintings, and love to explore multiple ways to manipulate the drawing/painting surface, creating 3-dimensional textures that interact with light and shadow.