ABOUT DANIELLE FOUSHEE

I am an artist. This website features my work and highlights some of the varied
inspirations that inform my creative practice. Read more about me here.

Check out my facebook page or follow me on twitter at
@ArtistDFoushee.

Monday, October 20, 2008

A Note from My Dad

Growing up in a separated family, I was always traveling from one parent’s house to the other. Sometimes, my dad would leave secret notes in my suitcase that I would only find once I’d reached my destination.

I received this note when I left for graduate school at Cranbrook Academy of Art. For some reason, I never removed this note from my suitcase, and it still has its home there today, even though it has been over ten years since I left for grad school, and almost seven years since his death. I find this note again, for the umpteenth time, whenever I travel anywhere with my suitcase. It brings me comfort.

It’s funny, as a young person I was always mortified when my dad called me “Wiggle” in public. Dad was a genius nickname-giver. The nickname was coined when I was a little girl — he would chase me around and tickle me endlessly. I would love to hear him use that nickname one more time!