ABOUT DANIELLE FOUSHEE

I am an artist. This website features my work and highlights some of the varied
inspirations that inform my creative practice. Read more about me here.

Check out my facebook page or follow me on twitter at
@ArtistDFoushee.

Sunday, December 2, 2012

One Summit: New Work & New Outlook

One Summit. Ink, nails, and twine on paper mounted on board. 
24"x36". 2012.

I finished this new painting a few weeks ago. It is special to me because it documents an important evolution in my overall philosophy on life. When my dad died in 2001, I made a promise that I would take any opportunity that presented itself, and I did just that. I was in my mid-20’s at the time, and I did not want to miss out on anything that life might generously offer.

And after eleven years of saying “yes” to everything that came my way, I ran myself ragged. I realized that I was running on an ever-faster treadmill, trying to experience everything but never fully experiencing anything deeply. I have been climbing a whole range of mountains leading to a bunch of different summits, but never actually getting anywhere.

I know this promise has served me well over the years. I’ve had a lot of amazing experiences like rock climbing, traveling, and meeting tons of amazing and different people. I've lived in four states since 2001, and worked full time while taking on every freelance opportunity, too. I took up yoga, and dove full-force into yoga trainings and teaching.

And then last year I was diagnosed with cancer. Another brush with death gave me an opportunity to re-examine my choices and promises to myself. I am cancer-free and healthy now, and I realize that after eleven years of running full speed ahead, it is time to slow down, pause, and say “yes” more fully to the things that really matter: my art, my community, my family. 

This painting, One Summit, is a reminder for me that I no longer have to do everything to be fulfilled in life, but that I can do fewer things and do them well, with more personal investment, and more mindfulness.