ABOUT DANIELLE FOUSHEE

I am an artist. This website features my work and highlights some of the varied
inspirations that inform my creative practice. Read more about me here.

Check out my facebook page or follow me on twitter at
@ArtistDFoushee.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cindy Sherman: Favorite Famous Artists / Part 8


I mentioned in some of my earlier “Favorite Famous Artists” posts about Barbara Kruger and Georgia O'Keefe that I've always loved Feminist art. I especially like art that is somehow creepy or disturbing in some way (see my post on Francis Bacon). As a young artist, I loved when women artists were in your face. I wanted to be in your face, too!


Even though I’m not usually inspired by photography, there is something about Cindy Sherman’s work that grabs me, on a visceral level (which is exactly where I like it!). Her photographs are painterly, imaginative, and abstract, even though the images are (sort-of) representational. The colors and lighting are so vivid, so saturated, so dramatic. As a viewer, I really get a sense of emotion, something sinister under the surface, something surreal and dreamlike.


Maybe activist art about Feminist issues has fallen somewhat out of fashion since the 1980s, but I think it’s as relevant now as much as ever... especially with many of the services that benefit women (and children) who live in poverty on the government’s budget chopping block. Cindy Sherman’s work isn’t directly about these issues, but I think her female caricatures are so powerful and disturbing precisely because they reflect something truthful about the way women are (de)valued in our culture.