ABOUT DANIELLE FOUSHEE

I am an artist. This website features my work and highlights some of the varied
inspirations that inform my creative practice. Read more about me here.

Check out my facebook page or follow me on twitter at
@ArtistDFoushee.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Cy Twombly: Favorite Famous Artists / Part 2

Untitled VII from Bacchus Series

I found out about Cy Twombly when I was a high school student at University of North Carolina School of the Arts. My drawing teacher, Clyde Fowler, liked Abstract Expressionism as a way to teach us about a variety of mark-making techniques.

 
Lepanto

It was Cy Twombly’s work that first showed me that drawing and painting doesn’t always have to be a perfect, representational rendering of a person or object. Drawing could be abstract, emotional, and alive!

Wilder Show of Love

And, of course, as an artist and graphic designer, I’ve always been fascinated by the use of language (or hints at language and writing) in visual creative expression. I have never understood those people who argue that fine art (painting, sculpture, etc.) shouldn’t need words. . . I don’t think they are always necessary, but sometimes a few choice words can push a piece quite to the edge of meaning, other times can make a work more concise and pointed (see my post on Barbara Kruger).

Untitled