ABOUT DANIELLE FOUSHEE

I am an artist. This website features my work and highlights some of the varied
inspirations that inform my creative practice. Read more about me here.

Check out my facebook page or follow me on twitter at
@ArtistDFoushee.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Alphabet Design (In Progress)

 
Alphabet (unfinished)

Last year I designed a custom logotype for FIDM’s acronym (see below) on a poster project. Now, I’m about to start a new FIDM college viewbook design. So, I’ve been thinking about using the forms I created last year as a starting point for a whole new display typeface that I can use throughout the new student viewbook.

 
Last summer’s FIDM Poster

This alphabet is still in progress, but I think you can get a sense of where I’m going with it. One of the perameters I set for myself is that this typeface will be a monoline, which presents some special challenges in the design. I’m trying to come up with solutions for the quirky counter spaces and bowls in the “e” and “s”. I’m not too excited about raising the x-height, and the only other option I can see offhand is to decrease the weight overall.

lower-case word test

And then I suppose eventually there should be numerals and punctuation. Check back soon to see how it turns out...