ABOUT DANIELLE FOUSHEE

I am an artist. This website features my work and highlights some of the varied
inspirations that inform my creative practice. Read more about me here.

Check out my facebook page or follow me on twitter at
@ArtistDFoushee.

Monday, October 5, 2009

Edward Burtynsky Documents Industrial Impacts & Pollution

A mine in Australia.

From time to time, I find images that tear at my soul in their depiction of the devastating effects of our industrialized civilization on the earth. These scars on the surface are only a hint at the destruction that flows from their epicenters. From the displacement of wildlife to the poisoning of groundwater, our consumer lifestyles have a dramatic impact on the planet. See my other posts about mining and its impacts: Amazing Aerials by Alexander Heilner and Strip Mining Conundrum.

Salt ponds in Australia.

Check out these images by Edward Burtynsky. Nicholas Metivier Gallery describes his work here: “Edward Burtynsky’s large-scale colour photographs reveal the many facets of nature as it is transformed through human industry. Exquisitely detailed and exactingly rendered, his images strike an intricate balance between a somber reportage and a powerfully seductive aesthetic.”

Nickel Tailings in Canada.

A rock quarry in Vermont.

An oilfield in California.