ABOUT DANIELLE FOUSHEE

I am an artist. This website features my work and highlights some of the varied
inspirations that inform my creative practice. Read more about me here.

Check out my facebook page or follow me on twitter at
@ArtistDFoushee.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Historic Exploration

I went to the east coast with my mom last week. She won a Commissioner’s Citation, the highest honor a civil servant can get in the Social Security Administration. We had a great time at the award ceremony, but my favorite part of the trip was visiting some historic U.S. landmarks.

We walked all around downtown Baltimore and found an historic Methodist church, completed in 1872. It was named the most significant building in Baltimore by the American Institute of Architects. The detail and craftsmanship of the architecture is so beautiful. You don’t get to experience this kind of history out west.

When we finished with our business in Baltimore, we drove over to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, the site of the deadliest, bloodiest battle in the Civil War. In only three days’ time, almost 60,000 men died on both sides of the conflict. They said the river ran red with blood. The image above is a memorial to one of the regiments from New York. There were monuments all over the battlefield, remembering all the dead and wounded from the fight.

We also visited Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia. Too bad the light was so bad that day, because none of my photos came out! I really loved Independence Hall because that is where the Declaration of Independence was signed, and where the U.S. Constitution was written. What an amazing place!