ABOUT DANIELLE FOUSHEE

I am an artist. This website features my work and highlights some of the varied
inspirations that inform my creative practice. Read more about me here.

Check out my facebook page or follow me on twitter at
@ArtistDFoushee.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

New York to Colorado: Road Trip Detour(s)

 A covered bridge in Greenup, Illinois

After my art show in New York City, Matt and I decided to take the scenic route back home to Colorado. The first couple days were dreary and rainy, so we waited to take our detours until the weather was more pleasant.

We found an old road in Illinois called the Old National Road (US Hwy 40). It was America’s first transcontinental highway, before the Eisenhower Interstate Highway System was implemented. It once ran all the way from Atlantic City to San Francisco.

Gateway Arch at dusk in St. Louis, Missouri

As we traveled, Matt and I listened to the audio book of On The Road by Jack Kerouac. He mentions many of the places we passed through on our journey cross-country. I suspect the characters spent a lot of time hitchhiking along the Old National Road. Of course, now I'm obsessed with this book. I don’t know how I never read it before. Apparently, they’re making a movie to be released sometime soon.

A silver lining somewhere in central Kansas

Kansas is comprised of flat, rolling plains. Many of the small towns we passed through seemed to be half-deserted, their better days behind them. Mojo wore himself out barking at cows as we passed by. At dusk, our spirits were lifted by this beautiful glowing cloud with a silver lining.

Mojo, exhausted after confronting all those cows