ABOUT DANIELLE FOUSHEE

I am an artist. This website features my work and highlights some of the varied
inspirations that inform my creative practice. Read more about me here.

Check out my facebook page or follow me on twitter at
@ArtistDFoushee.

Monday, March 21, 2011

The Artist Project New York: My Experience

 Unpacking and hanging the paintings. 

Matt and I arrived at Pier 92 in New York City to set up my booth for The Artist Project New York after a 3-day drive cross-country from Colorado.

Here I am, sitting in my booth.

Overall, I think the quality of the work on display was very good, and professional (Check out The Artist Project New York Facebook page for images). I met tons of people, got lots of great feedback, shared my info with some interior designers, and met several gallery owners who were interested in displaying my work. Most importantly, I was able to develop the narratives that best describe my work to everyday art lovers.

I met people who were genuinely moved by my paintings. Two separate women had such strong experiences, they were nearly brought to tears! These are truly the moments that artists (at least myself) hope to achieve through their work — the transcendental communication, the electric connection, with the heart of another human being.

This is the other side of the booth. 

If I go again next year, I think I'll fork over the extra money for more lights. The only downside of this show is that the booth fee is so expensive, and then you have to pay extra for every little thing (lights $90/ea, the table was over $100, the chair over $50, internet access, and electricity are all extra — and they’re only rentals... highway robbery!), on top of travel expenses. Luckily, we were able to stay with Matt’s family, and my mom gave us a gazillion Marriott points we used to stay in Manhattan for a couple nights during the show.

I will also bring an iPod player to have music in my booth. It was so quiet on the pier, except for the rattle and hum of the industrial air conditioner. I think some music will add a bit of excitement and energy to the air! Research shows that people are more likely to linger longer and spend more money when there’s well-considered music playing in the background.