ABOUT DANIELLE FOUSHEE

I am an artist. This website features my work and highlights some of the varied
inspirations that inform my creative practice. Read more about me here.

Check out my facebook page or follow me on twitter at
@ArtistDFoushee.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Spirit and/or Science: Artist Lissa Rankin

Seeing is Believing

Artist and medical doctor Lissa Rankin creates these beautiful encaustic and mixed media paintings. Her writings detail her personal struggle between the spiritual nature of art-making and the pragmatism of medical practice. In the end, she chose to give up medicine to make and teach art.

A Place Apart

While, on their own, I find these paintings perfectly stunning in their quiet beauty, I must admit I’m disappointed that Dr. Rankin was unable to find harmony between these two aspects of her life. I’ve experienced the cold, impersonal medical system. I think people with her passion and sensitivity could offer a bit of spirit, warmth, and heart to the medical field. It would make such a difference in so many people’s lives.

What Are You Going to Get?

On the other hand, these paintings offer a sense of peace and serenity that probably doesn't go hand-in-hand with practicing medicine... so I can see the conflict Dr. Rankin must have experienced while trying to be an artist and a doctor at the same time. Perhaps I am a bit too idealistic in hoping that someone could negotiate both of those extremes. I’m not sure I could do it either!