ABOUT DANIELLE FOUSHEE

I am an artist. This website features my work and highlights some of the varied
inspirations that inform my creative practice. Read more about me here.

Check out my facebook page or follow me on twitter at
@ArtistDFoushee.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Barbara Kruger: Favorite Famous Artists / Part 1

Over the past few days a bunch of my college design buddies and I have been sharing our lists of famous artists who have been most influential to us. I love this little game, because it has reminds me of what got me excited about art and design in the first place. I decided to turn it into a new blog series to share the who and why of my favorite famous artists with you. I hope you find their work as inspiring as I do!


I first learned of Barbara Kruger in high school. I think her use of aggressive language and typography juxtaposed against images from the media really connected with that teen angst I was experiencing at the time. I wished I could be as succinct and sharp with my feelings as she is. Her work expresses that tension between wanting power and not having any that I felt so strongly back then.


Even though Barbara Kruger is a fine artist, I was intrigued by her unconventional use of the written word in her work. Her work definitely inspired me toward the study of graphic design when I went to college at NC State’s College of Design.


I met Barbara Kruger when I worked as a designer at MOCA in Los Angeles. I created the press kit for her exhibition at the Geffen Contemporary. I remember feeling so awestruck to have her sitting next to me at my computer as I worked on it.