ABOUT DANIELLE FOUSHEE

I am an artist. This website features my work and highlights some of the varied
inspirations that inform my creative practice. Read more about me here.

Check out my facebook page or follow me on twitter at
@ArtistDFoushee.

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Stephanie Liner’s Paradoxical Sculptures

I came across these beautifully unnerving works by Stephanie Liner through the pattern research I’ve been doing lately. Her work straddles ideas of beauty and traditional ideas of femininity and sexuality. She uses patterns in her work that evoke the Victorian period, when women had a very defined role in the household and in culture.

Many of the pieces Stephanie makes have secret compartments in intimate places that hold candy or other objects for viewers (men) to discover. Are these items gifts from the woman to her suitor, or is there something more sinister in the relationship between the woman and the viewer?