ABOUT DANIELLE FOUSHEE

I am an artist. This website features my work and highlights some of the varied
inspirations that inform my creative practice. Read more about me here.

Check out my facebook page or follow me on twitter at
@ArtistDFoushee.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Anchor Art Space: My Residency / Part 4


I learn the most from the things that don’t go the way I plan.

For a while now I’ve had an idea to work with dyes in my twine work, so I decided that my time at Anchor Art Space is as good as any to begin my experiments.

I wanted to create a curtain of twine that hangs into jars of dye, and then allow the dye to wick up the material as time passes. I’m sure anyone familiar with fabrics and dyes probably already knows that cotton needs lots of heat in order for the dye to transfer well. I did not know that at first, but I do now!


The dye did, indeed, wick up the twine — to a point. It dried out far sooner than I had hoped, and it seemed both out of proportion and a mismatch for the curtain I already created.

I learned a lot working on this experiment over the past few days, so I don’t consider the time wasted. I do recognize the need to keep experimenting, perhaps with different twine materials as well as different ways to apply the color. I love learning new things!