ABOUT DANIELLE FOUSHEE

I am an artist. This website features my work and highlights some of the varied
inspirations that inform my creative practice. Read more about me here.

Check out my facebook page or follow me on twitter at
@ArtistDFoushee.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Alternative Materials for Creating Self Portraits

Zack

I wanted to take the pressure off my drawing students before the Thanksgiving holiday. I asked them to bring in a variety of alternative materials with which they could create mixed-media self portraits. They brought tape, fabric, cotton balls, string, popcorn, sunflower seeds, aluminum foil, peanut butter, and so much more.

 
Sylvia

The students piled all their materials in the middle of the room. It was a free-for-all as they vied for materials they wanted for their collages. I told them the self portraits could be as abstract as they wanted—they didn’t need to be a realistic representation of their faces... I’m much more interested in the inventive use of the available materials. I hope they enjoyed this opportunity to just play, without worrying about making things look “perfect.”

Me

I was so inspired by the materials everyone brought in that I decided to make my own self portrait (above). My favorite part is the spaghetti hair and the knot for the nose. It turned out a little bit scary, but I had fun letting go for a day!