ABOUT DANIELLE FOUSHEE

I am an artist. This website features my work and highlights some of the varied
inspirations that inform my creative practice. Read more about me here.

Check out my facebook page or follow me on twitter at
@ArtistDFoushee.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Rachell Sumpter’s Touching Eskimo Drawings

Finery. 11x14 inches. Pastel and guache on paper.

I was in Los Angeles last weekend with my friend Camille, and we spent a lot of time checking out the local art scene. The most memorable work I saw was created by Rachell Sumpter. These drawings of Eskimo scenes are so quietly touching — most of the drawings are no more than 11x14 inches, and the figures are often only about 3/4" tall.

The painting above is my favorite. It’s melancholy is punctuated by brightly-colored litter strewn througout the sea as this Eskimo tries to canoe through the water.

Go Wild. 13x21 inches. Pastel and guache on paper.

Igloo. 11x14 inches. Pastel and guache on paper.

Volcanites. 10x12.5 inches. Pastel and guache on paper.