ABOUT DANIELLE FOUSHEE

I am an artist. This website features my work and highlights some of the varied
inspirations that inform my creative practice. Read more about me here.

Check out my facebook page or follow me on twitter at
@ArtistDFoushee.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Cranbrook Graduate Show 2008

I love this... Pattern on pattern, repurposed and loud, yet somehow blending together homogeneously.

I can’t sleep tonight, so I’ve been looking around online. I found someone’s Flickr collection of images from the 2008 Cranbrook Degree Show. Since Cranbrook is my alma mater (MFA 2-d Design), I am always interested to see what’s going on up there. The Flickr images don’t have any credits for the work, which is kind-of a bummer.

I’m not sure why, but over the past months (years?), I’ve found more inspiration looking at the work coming out of disciplines other than design. That’s not to say there aren’t interesting things going on within my own discipline, but there’s something special about studying a variety of visual ideas.

As designers, perhaps it’s even more essential that we become curious about everything around us.

Is this some sort of representation of a 19th-Century massage table, or torture device? I can’t tell.

I’m not sure how I feel about this one. There’s something appealing about it (the colors? the repetition?), but yet somehow it's simultaneously off-putting.