ABOUT DANIELLE FOUSHEE

I am an artist. This website features my work and highlights some of the varied
inspirations that inform my creative practice. Read more about me here.

Check out my facebook page or follow me on twitter at
@ArtistDFoushee.

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Karin Davie at Seattle Art Museum


I visited the Seattle Art Museum yesterday. It was a gorgeous day to hang around in downtown to see some art. One of my favorite pieces from this visit is the one above by Karin Davie. I wish I had remembered to jot down the title... One of my friends commented that it reminds him of the swirly lollipops he used to love as a kid.

 Karin Davie. Lover.

I can totally imagine the artist using her entire body to create these gestural beauties. The swooping colors look like they’re in three-dimensional motion.

Karin Davie. Symptomania 7

Some of her work begins to relate, in my mind, to something akin to Cy Twombly’s work. Swirling reds, maroons, and pinks glow against a green background in this one. When I see the title, Symptomania, I wonder if it’s about the feeling of being lovesick, or maybe just diseased.

Karin Davie. Liquid Life No. 2.

I missed seeing this newer piece at the James Harris Gallery in Seattle earlier this year. These are works on paper, and seem a little more controlled than the earlier works I’ve seen. The monochromatic themes are more subdued as well.